PinkThumb425 Seedling

PinkThumb425

Tomatoes won't turn red

I have to two tomato plants one in a pot and one in a topsy turvy. They are both beef steak variety tomatoes and neither have gotten tomatoes on them all season to be much bigger than cherry tomatoes. But with it becoming cooler I am worried that the tomatoes that are still on the vine won't turn red nor get any bigger. Any suggestions on what to do?

Views: 4390 Replies: 3 Date: 2012-09-16T16:28:50.000Z
Result Count: 3

Tools

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: Tomatoes won't turn red

Large tomatoes do not do as well in containers as they do in the ground, they have a large roots system and need their space in order to get full size fruit. A patio type will grow better in a container.

As long as there is no frost the fruit should continue to ripen . If you are expecting a frost remove the fruit along with its stem and either ripen on a sunny window or place the tomatoes in a paper bag with an apple  on the counter and check on them every day. The apple produces ethylene gas which will help with the ripening process.

2012-09-17T06:24:07.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Jardin

Jardin

I rarely allow my tomatoes to turn red on the vine as they attract pests, they turn red on the window sill, and taste just fine.

2012-09-21T05:38:29.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

westernNYguy Soil Stomper

westernNYguy

once a tomato begins to change color towards being red - I pick them and place all in a cardboard box someplace in the kitchen -  and not in any direct sun light -  The sun creates the green in the color within tomatoes - which i want to avoid.  Also they will change to a red color quicker - so no window sill or on a bench outside in the sun light.. Within the kitchen - check each day to see which of the fruit is ready to use.

2014-06-24T15:55:12.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 3