sewer2planter Soil Stomper

sewer2planter

Manassas, VA veg gardening and using their greenhouse

Would love to talk about zone 7 use of greenhouse for family use only.  This is my second winter and just starting to see its limitations and advantages.

Views: 3882 Replies: 8 Date: 2011-11-15T17:17:44.000Z
Result Count: 8

Tools

chickenlady

chickenlady

Re: Manassas, VA veg gardening and using their greenhouse

Hi - we live in the Denver area (zone 5) so we don't have quite the same weather as you.  But, we do have a greenhouse.....  I kept the GH heated all last winter and managed to keep my geraniums alive but that's about all.....   I find trudging to the GH in the cold is a chore I don't relish....smile.  What have you been doing w/ your GH?

2011-12-02T08:13:50.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

sewer2planter

I'm in zone 7 .  I'm 30 miles outside of Washington, D.C.  This year experimented with growing beets (started in Aug in a flat -outside the greenhouse), bringing them in about Nov because of all the rain and wind.  Wanted to see if they will start growing in March, which is when we get alot of wind and rain again.  Was able to extend the growing season for the peppers, but the eggplants didn't produce (usually can only grow them from early starters), I think because these this year only had flowers not fruit by Sept.  Used the greenhouse for drying leaves (mint) but the heat was too intense.  Transplanting early sowings was so so.  I think what I liked best was getting into a sheltered spot (and being able to sit) to do any existing plant transfer or sowing of individuals.  I'm treating my GH like a large cold frame.  Thanks for responding, sorry I didn't see your post earlier.  Julie

2011-12-27T18:06:57.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

vmouse

vmouse

I live outside of Memphis,  this is the first winter with my greenhouse.  So far so good,everything is still blooming and growing.  I'm looking forward to tryings seed and cuttings for spring.   love being able to go out and work with my plants anytime I want.   I would love to hear from others and am open to any anvice you might have.   I'm zone 7.

2011-12-28T06:41:42.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

sewer2planter

Thanks for the idea of starting cuttings.  It makes me think about starting evergreen cuttings (in Feb or March).  I have had luck (25-50%) starting low growing creeping cedar from cuttings made in Nov ( previous year).  These cuttings had weathered the winter months out in the open and I didn't touch them till the following year. 

I am not finding anyone (locally) to advise me of what I can do in, and how to do it with, my GH.  This is my reason for posting in the forum.  There are books but they are either skimpy or for the larger GH grower.  My GH is 8X8.  I did find an internet GH yahoo group which is very interesting, but they seem more concerned in building and keeping the heat on/in it.  I admit that I haven't asked them any questions, as I should.  In my GH, I am doing trial and error with observation.  I don't have power in my GH ,as of yet, not a priority of my husband's honey do jar.  Julie

2011-12-29T13:56:18.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

vmouse

vmouse

i understsand about the husband I'm running a small heater with an extention cord(  I know not very smart but I'm not letting them freeze at this point) on the nights it gets really cold.  Next year I'll have it set up better.  I also had to line the greenhouse with bubble wrap.  this helped alot more than I thought it would.

I'm also going with trial and error.  What will grow and do good and what is better off just replacing next year.  I just hate to leave big pretty plants outside to freeze.  I can tell you my mother N law tognues are loving it they are blooming like crazy.      My grandoughter planted some pumpkin seed with out telling me so I have pumpkins growing in a pot.  We'll see haw they make it over the winter.  Alot of my vines are also loving the greenhouse I'm not sure how I'll ever get them untangled come spring they are growing so fast.

Let me know how you do with your greenhouse. 

2011-12-30T13:07:50.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

sewer2planter

I understand you wanting to extend the growing season, but there comes a time when rest is necessary too.  I have come to value the compost pile as a way to accept this rest period.  Think of the value you add to the compost pile by letting go of plants that have had their moment.  This reasoning also allows you to gain something in the rest period.  No one wants to slow down, mainly, because getting back up to speed isn't that easy as one gets older.  This philosophy will help me for the next three months, when/before the growing bug strikes again.  It is better to use this time to plan for 2012's season.  Happy New Year to you.  Julie

2011-12-31T14:48:39.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

Artful_Gardener

I also live in zone 7.  I can't afford heat for a greenhouse, so it's used more like a very big coldframe.  I don't have room or enough light inside the house.  And I can water without worrying about what will get wet.  I start all my vegetable and flower seeds in the early spring inside to take out in late April-early May.  An extension cord and a heat mat are useful for certain seeds or an earlier start.  My heat mat is made up of a string of lights between upside down aluminum pan trays, and I set my seedlings on top of that.  In the fall, my houseplants go in the GH while I get them cleaned up and find a place for them inside.  Not all of them make it inside the house.  I loose some, but others will make it until spring outside in the GH.  I'm enjoying the warmer winters.  I always wanted to live in zone 8!

2012-02-05T07:46:12.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

FloridaGal

FloridaGal

I live in zone 8 and last October built a 10'x10' greenhouse. I am very fortunate to have a boyfriend who knows how to do just about anything so my greenhouse has water and heat. It also has an automatic ventilation system because here in Florida when the sun is out the heat inside is intense. I have probably gone overboard with cuttings and starting seeds because the greenhouse if full. Since this is the first year with the greenhouse, it is a learning experience for me but so far, I learned a lot and am willing to share if anyone has a specific question.

By the way I lived in the Manassas, VA area for more than 30 years. My sons and grandson still live there.

2012-02-15T05:30:39.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 8