NewbieGardener Green Thumb

NewbieGardener

Watering containers while on vacation?

How do you keep the soil moist in your containers while on a week vacation?

Views: 3852 Replies: 3 Date: 2011-08-23T07:48:25.000Z
Result Count: 3

Tools

PhillyGardener11

PhillyGardener11

Re: Watering containers while on vacation?

Ask your neighbor Smile

2011-08-23T07:58:50.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

autumndragon

autumndragon

It kind of depends on how many containers you have and whether they are inside or our. Outside I have collected all my plants in one spot and tood a garden hose hooked up to small sprinkler and set it on a timer and depending on your weather when you leave I would set it to come on for about 15 minutes in the morning and if it is really hot I would  have it come on again in the afternoon. This is something you could set up a day or two before you leave and that way you could figure out how you want to set it.

In the house I have tented them with a plastic tent in a bright room,not direct sun. Water before you leave and if your not gone more than a week they should be fine.

2011-12-30T20:54:18.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

MaryA1330

I agree - ask your neighbors!! I've heard of some good ideas for larger containers or in-ground beds that I might try this year - poke holes in a milk jug or soda bottle and burry it in the soil up to the bottle neck. Fill it with water, and the water will slowly dispense while you're gone. This should help plants for a few days. If your a frequent vacationer, I would try some drought/heat resistant varieties. That way you won't have to worry about your garden while you're gone at all.

2012-02-16T08:44:03.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 3