Annaliese Seedling

Annaliese

New to gardening, overly ambitious...

Good morning!

I'm a fairly new gardener living in Houston, Texas. I've gardened off and on for a few years, but I've never been good about keeping up with my plants. That is changing this year; I am determined to grow, grow, grow! That said, I need AS MUCH help and advice as I can possibly get from gardeners who know their stuff. I'm going to put in one raised bed, in my back yard, and I've heard that 4x6 is good as far as length and width go, managable... I'd like to grow tomatoes, lettuce, maybe some cucumbers (?), and other veggies that do well in Southeastern Texas. I've also started a container garden of herbs on my "deck" (it's really just a cement patio-let, but hopefully that'll change soon.) I have two types of rosemary, a lavender plant, and a curry plant.

The back yard gets morning sun, but becuase of a large tree, it's fairly shady most of the rest of the day. I'm planning to put in the raised bed where it'll get the most sun.

The front yard has a funny configuration, with a bed full of seven different rose varieties along the L shaped front, plus an oval bed in the middle of the yard that currently holds a huge rose bush, and a Crepe Myrtle/Oak that are growing up together. They're far enough from the foundation that I'm just going to see who wins the battle...

So, sorry to have been so wordy, but I figured the more detail I give the more advice people will have.

Thanks in advance!!

Views: 3475 Replies: 3 Date: 2012-01-30T10:02:44.000Z
Result Count: 3

Tools

Soil Stomper

CarrotChick

Re: New to gardening, overly ambitious...

Wow! You are ambitious Annaliese. But it sounds like you're planting what you like to eat, which is always important. A 4x6 foot bed is a good size to start with. Just make sure not to plant too many plants in your bed. You'll be amazed how fast (and big) some varieties of tomatoes and peppers can grow. It’s tempting to try to squeeze a lot of varieties in, but, speaking from experience, you’ll regret it later! Or, try some compact tomato varieties in containers on your patio. Make sure to water containers regularly, as they dry out quickly.  

2012-02-08T13:35:19.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Green Thumb

NewbieGardener

Hi Annaliese,

One thing that helped me too during my first year was to get some varieties that have high tolerances to heat, drought, disease, etc. When we had some 95 degree days in Philadelphia, some tomatoes 'popped' and 'cracked' a little with the heat while the others with these tolerances continued to grow successfully.

Also, my favorite container herb is Summerlong Basil. I grew just one plant and had basil growing faster than I could use it. I tried making pesto as often as possible, in order not to waste the harvest.

2012-02-09T09:11:24.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

FloridaGal

FloridaGal

I too had a lot of basil last summer so I made my pesto and froze it. It's really easy to thaw and use in your favorite dish. Since this was my first time freezing pesto I don't know how long it will keep in the freezer and still taste good.

2012-02-12T06:38:26.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 3