BurpeeAdmin1 Soil Stomper

BurpeeAdmin1

What is the best advice you've ever received for your garden?

We're looking for tips, tricks and family secrets.

Views: 5079 Replies: 9 Date: 2011-08-23T06:02:48.000Z
Result Count: 9

Tools

Sidney

Sidney

Get a Soil Sample from your Extension Advisor

Universities in most states have an extension advisor who will send your soil sample (bag and directions provided) in for analysis.  It's the best soil doctor checkup you can get.

2011-11-30T08:12:19.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

peshadows

Re: What is the best advice you've ever received for your garden?

Start with a couple of plants, and try ones that are rated for your environment.

2011-12-30T08:09:54.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

gratitude

gratitude

Yeah, I'm VERY new to this, but I think you have t o know (and correct if necessary) the soil pH.  And only plant things you love to eat or that you plan on sharing with someone who loves them.

2011-12-30T09:17:23.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

Artful_Gardener

I want to respond to Gratitude . . . I plant lots more things than the ones I like to eat or share, just for the ornamental values or the experience growing something new.  Didn't your mother try to get you to eat something new all the time?  Try it, you might like it!  Swiss chard was one of those veggies for me.  I grew it because it is very ornamental, but I tried it and love it!  Some things you won't like, but the birds might, or the local soup kitchen might.  Then you've tried it and decided not to plant that next year.  I've never tried an artichoke, but they look so neat.  I'm going to try them this year!

2012-02-05T07:20:35.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

CarrotChick

Plant what you like to eat and start small.

2012-02-08T14:12:14.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

PAgardener

Using square foot gardening. You can yield so much more in a smaller space.

2012-03-20T11:47:24.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

Capnahab

Test soil ph before adding anything to it. Because you may have the ph right where it needs to be and then throw it out by adding the wrong things. 

2013-03-30T13:04:08.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

chickenpoop

chickenpoop

Never take it too serious. Enjoy every moment of it. If you kill it try try again. Always share with neighbors even if you don't like them. Never let chicken poop go to waste its a great fertilizer. Compost Compost Compost! If you have chickens let them have supervised time in your garden they are great with weeds bugs and spent veggies and fruits.

2013-04-18T01:10:18.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Canoerick Soil Stomper

Canoerick

Gee, I guess that I should check the ph!  No one ever told me that.

The best advise that I ever received was to do Square Foot Gardening.  It has worked wonderfully for me, but I've never had a garden any other way!

2013-04-18T01:59:06.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 9