rubytink Seedling

rubytink

complete garden newbie

Hi Everyone! I'm a 100% complete newbie who has never even raised houseplants, much less had any gardening experience. But I would like to have a garden. So where do I even begin? I know absolutely nothing. Help! Thanks!

RubytinkSmile

Views: 4241 Replies: 6 Date: 2012-03-18T11:21:09.000Z
Result Count: 6

Tools

Soil Stomper

rookiegardener

Re: complete garden newbie

Hello rubytink,

I have only been gardening for about 5 yrs, but I can tell you one thing, the secret is in the soil.  you should mix in compost to your garden beds.  I recommend that you use raised beds, if you are gardening outside. If possible start your own compost pile, by saving the tops of carrots or tomatoes and banana peels and the stems of spinach and so on.  Oh, don't forget the eggshells.  If there is no room for a compost pile, purchase at a gardening center.  I live in Texas and the best compost is Black Kow.  Hope this helps.

rookiegardener

2012-03-18T12:05:42.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

PAgardener

I would suggest that you begin small and use easy to grow plants. Begin with tomatoes, peas, beans, zucchini and the like.  I've been gardening for many years and its trial and error but when you pick your first tomato off the vine there's nothing like it. good luckLaughing

2012-03-20T11:32:02.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

burpee

Hi Rubytink, 

Welcome! To help you get started, here's a great series of podcasts by Joe Lamp'l: http://www.burpeehomegardens.com/GardenHelp/TipOfTheWeek.aspx.

Happy gardening!

2012-03-20T13:00:07.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

maggievanfossan

maggievanfossan

Contact your local extension service for the Master Gardeners in your area. Master Gardeners are volunteers who received extensive education, enabling them to educate the public. My chapter here in Oregon has many free events at community centers farmers markets, local nurseries and fairgrounds. You can take advantage of short classes on vegetables, blueberries & strawberies, tomato growing, etc. If you have time, the Master Gardening is a worthwhile class to really expand your knowledge. Also, you can call a Master Gardening office in your area for free advice anytime. Your local extension service will have a great web-site with lots of online information like recommended varieties for your area, how to identify pests and problems, what grows in your area. Happy Gardener!!!

2012-03-22T12:51:38.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

CarrotChick

Before even begining, I'd recommend mapping out where you'll put your garden and making sure the conditions are right - that it gets enough sunlight (6+ hours of sunlight a day for veggies), that the soil is healthy and nutritious, and that a water source is close. There's nothing worse than planting a garden and being less than successful simply because of the location! Good luck!

2012-03-23T07:53:42.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

Capnahab

First contact your cooperative extension office and talk to the master gardener. Then have the ph of your soil tested. You have to know what the soil needs before you waste money adding things it doesn't need. The Master Gardener will be your new best friend. Good luck!

2013-03-30T12:41:55.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 6