BurpeeGuestAcco

BurpeeGuestAcco

Question about a shrub

I live in zone 6 and I planted a Korean Spice Bush last summer in my garden.  Of course now, after it has wintered over it is totally bare and looks dead. 

I scratched a branch or two and see green underneath.  Also the branches bend and do not snap, which I am assuming means there is moisture there.  I know it blooms in April, but I don't see any signs of budding for leaves.  Shouldn't I be seeing that now? 

Please let me know when I should be looking for new growth so that I know not to dig it up and throw it on the compost heap.

Thanks so much. I am kind of new at this gardening thing, as you probably can tell.

Views: 3217 Replies: 3 Date: 2012-03-09T04:24:37.000Z
Result Count: 3

Tools

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: Question about a shrub

Your spicebush sound fine just give it a little more time.

2012-03-12T13:50:26.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

BurpeeGuestAcco

BurpeeGuestAcco

Also, be careful when checking shrubs to see if they're alive. By scratching the surface (or bending, which may cause the branch to accidentally crease or tear/break, even though it's alive; be gentle as it is less dangerous than scratching) you're damaging the stem, leaving it open to disease or pests. Better to either make a clean, diagonal cut ~1/4 above a bud with a pair of good, sharp hand pruners or small, straight, shallow incision with a thin, very sharp blade (a razor blade works) toward the end of branch. You want to avoid ragged openings/cuts or removal of the protective barrier of the branch.

Your best friend as a new gardener is an excellent, high-quality, by-pass hand pruner. It may cost more upfront, but a quality pruner provides cleaner cuts, requires less sharpening, are able to be full dissembled for maintenance &/or part replacement (saves you from having to buy a new one if it becomes damaged) & are more comfortable to use. Remember to disinfect the blades (I use cotton balls soaked with rubbing alcohol) when you move to a new plant so you don't spread any potential disease (I know some gardeners that disinfect after each cut they make). Keep your pruner clean, oiled, and sharp. If it's a good one, it'll last you a life-time. Best of luck! 

2012-03-15T09:29:32.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

jennifersculpts

Silly me, I thought I was signed in when I posted my reply to you (I spoke about being careful when checking your shrubs...). Signed in now. Sorry. Smile

2012-03-15T09:31:54.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 3