holdcard3 Seedling

holdcard3

Aphid control

This past season, I had beautiful Habinero plants that bore hundreds of peppers. That is, until they were attacked by aphids. I tried home remedies, Bayer Aphid insecticide, all to no use. The plants ended up dying. What can I use to prevent infestation this season? I just purchased some hybrid biker Billiy peppers, and some Habinero peppers from Burpee, and hope to have a productive crop this year.

Thank you

Views: 3926 Replies: 4 Date: 2012-03-06T12:44:50.000Z
Result Count: 4

Tools

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: Aphid control

Peppers generally survive mild infestations with little damage, however aphids reproduce quickly so in a few weeks they the damage can increase.  A mild infestation can be treated with insecticidal soap, thoroughly wet the plant and don’t forget the underside of the leaves every 5 to7 days. Beneficial insects like lady bugs will help to keep the population down. Keep the plants healthy well watered  and fertilized regularly will also help.   If you can’t keep the population down you may need to treat with an organic pesticide, Check with your county extension service for a recommendation in your area.

2012-03-14T07:56:51.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

jennifersculpts

You can also blast aphids with water from your hose. Although insecticidal soap is useful, it can get expensive. A good blast of water is much cheaper & will kill the pests & their eggs (do this early in the day so your plants can dry before the sun goes down). It's important to stay on top of it so you don't get the infestation that requires solutions that are potentially harmful to you, your plants, the good insects that you want in your garden, & the environment. Keep a close eye on young plants & new buds/blossoms, as aphids are particularly attracted to these tender parts. You can also use companion planting, using plants/herbs that discourage aphids from setting up home or use sacrificial plants, such as nasturtium, that these pests prefer. Additionally, it's important to rotate your plants year to year, especially if you're having issues with disease & pests.  

2012-03-15T08:51:11.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Azrussell

Azrussell

I am also starting to see aphids in the garden, certainly not enough to justify an army of ladybugs.  Not nearly enough food supply to keep them interested.   I read somewhere that planting mint may irritate them so they move on, so I planted some under the tomatoes and near the pepper seedlings.  I sowed pepper seeds direct and the aphids love the true leaves that are sprouting, I have lost 70% to the aphids love of these leaves.  I will let you know how the mint is working, in the mean time I will continue to pluck 'em.

Chris -Mesa, AZ

2012-03-19T10:52:16.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

maggievanfossan

maggievanfossan

The OSU Extension Service recommends in this order of least invasive methods:

1. Mechanical removal (scrape eggs off undersides of leaves)

2. Blast of water if not too bad

3. Insecticidal soap

4. Horticultural oils

Be sure to read all labels of any products, making sure they are recommended for aphids. Apply carefully, according to directions.

2012-03-22T13:29:19.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 4