PAgardener Soil Stomper

PAgardener

Leggy transplants

I've started some veggies indoors however they are getting very leggy. Do I need to move my grown light down? Right now it's about an inch above the plants. How big do they need to be before I can move them to window light? thanks!

Views: 3517 Replies: 3 Date: 2012-03-19T06:18:08.000Z
Result Count: 3

Tools

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: Leggy transplants

Leggy seedlings are usually the results of not enough light. Always keep the plant light within four inches of the top of the plants. Leave the lights on for 16 hours every day.

2012-03-20T07:26:31.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

maggievanfossan

maggievanfossan

There's usually not enough light in a window, even in a South-facing window. It's best to keep them under grow lights until you're ready to begin hardening off to put outside. Tomato plants that get too leggy can be planted outside deeper than norm. Roots will grow underground along the stem. Other plants that get leggy may not be too sturdy planted outdoor. You may be able to salvage them by selectively pinching back.

2012-03-22T12:59:21.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

kpainter

I too have plants and flowers growing inside.  I did put them in my south window.  I am worried about being too leggy.  If I transplant them deeper, will I be able to save them.  How would I pinch off if I had to?

2012-03-24T13:52:35.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 3