NewbieGardener Green Thumb

NewbieGardener

Raised Bed Gardening

What is raised bed gardening and how would I start one?

Views: 4327 Replies: 6 Date: 2012-02-16T09:42:23.000Z
Result Count: 6

Tools

emmyc313 Soil Stomper

emmyc313

Re: Raised Bed Gardening

you don't need landscape fabric, unless you are putting a shallow bed on top of a grassy area and are worried weeds will pop up from the bottom. i have a large garden and have put in several raised beds; haven't used the fabric and have had no issues. my beds are only 6 inches deep, so i don't think my plants would have enough depth if i had fabric on the bottom. if you're concerned about soil washing out of the bed, you can staple the fabric up the sides of the bed (or purchase fabric containers specifically designed for this). not a lot washes out though, and you can just put a bag or two of dirt in every spring.

2012-05-28T19:51:47.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

veggiemom

I posted this in "all topics"...but asked if you need to put down landscape fabric before you fill the frame with dirt? 

2012-04-14T06:54:54.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

PAgardener

I used cow manuer, peat, vermiculite, and an all purpose veggie fertilzer - no "earth" was added. I don't have any weeds and the beds stay nice and fluffy. I also compost so that goes into the beds in the spring.

2012-03-19T06:25:53.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

oldedg

oldedg

I build my raised bed with a 20-80 mix of compost to dirt-yeah red clay and leaf mold. I build on ground so I can till-up beds each year and rebuild since I grow tomatoes in the same beds each year. It works but you must till-up all the beds each year. Mix lime and fertilizer with beds while tilling. Rebuild to about 8-10 inches high and 18" wide. Put drip lines under black plactic and punch holes for plants. I uses twine strung between iron posts to attach tomatoes, peppers and cukes. I place a handful of mulch around stems that emerge through plactic to stop weeds and stem cutters. Leave plastic until you are ready to rebuild beds. No weeds. Happy gardening.

2012-03-18T08:09:05.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

BurpeeGuestAcco

BurpeeGuestAcco

What ratio soil mixture would you recommend for raised beds?  My ground gets saturated with rainy spells, I live near a swamp so my water table is high.

2012-02-16T15:56:04.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

njgmom

Rasied Bed Gardening is an excellent way to grow your plants.  It is a growing method in which the garden bed is either mounded high or contained within a wood box.  Usually the beds are made 4 ft. wide and in varying lengths.  Advantages are the soil is built up (usually with organic matter) and the gardener does not walk in the bed avoiding soil compaction.  Cedar is a good choice in building your own boxes becuase they last for many years.  It's beneficial becuase you can create the perfect garden soil regardless of your normal soil conditions, giving you excellent drainage and plant performace.

Happy Gardening!!

2012-02-16T09:52:26.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 6