BurpeeGuestAcco

BurpeeGuestAcco

Growing Tomatoes in Texas heat.

I am almost ready to give my garden to the sun. Last few years it has won and me and my tomatoes have lost. Got any ideas about how I can win once in awhile?

Views: 4044 Replies: 2 Date: 2012-02-21T07:46:45.000Z
Result Count: 2

Tools

BurpeeGuestAcco

BurpeeGuestAcco

Re: Growing Tomatoes in Texas heat.

I have tomatoes now I started them in November and this is the first year I have had a good harvest. I have lots of tomatoes. Winter seems to be the best time for me to grow them. I am in Deep South Tx so a freeze is not a problem. We have had a lot of rain the the past few weeks. Than has helped. If I didn't love this tomatoes so much I would have given up last year. I put them in beds and put them in a place that doesnt get much wind. The second bed is now full of tomatoes and very happy after the rain. They have about six hours of full sun.

2012-02-21T09:27:04.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

krdl46

krdl46

Re: Growing Tomatoes in Texas heat.

great to hear another texan growing tomatoes in this wonderful? heat. i just moved to texas in 2010 from the east coast and still cant get used to the fact that you can start a garden in january. i found the best thing for the heat to protect my tomatoes is a light row cover set up like a tent to protect against sunburn, works so well my toms are over seven feet, but the main problem i have found is spider mites, they love the heat as much as i do. the only thing i found that helps control (not eliminate) the infesstation is spinosad. i am still looking for anything that would be more effective. cold water, and/or cold water alcohol mix, seems to stir them up and convince them to make more.!!

2012-06-20T08:40:45.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 2