burpee Garden Guru

burpee

Questions about pruning or deadheading?

Summer heat can make many flowers grow long and leggy. Pruning or deadheading annuals and perennials can keep plants looking lush and healthy by promoting growth, preventing spreading and creating stronger, bushier plants. Do you have questions about pruning or deadheading your plants? If so, share them below. Our garden experts are standing by.

Views: 10293 Replies: 20 Date: 2012-07-23T12:01:14.000Z
Result Count: 20

Tools

Soil Stomper

NewYorkMillet

Re: Questions about pruning or deadheading?

Yes! I love that you just posted this. I'm having issues with my petunas. Most of the plant is dying from the extreme heat we've been having. When should I start deadheading the withering flowers? When they first start to wilt?

2012-07-23T12:04:58.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

CarrotChick

I think my first attempt at deadheading was a failure. I chopped off about the top half of my long, leggy petunias, but so far, there have been no more blooms. It's been about a week. Did I do it wrong, or should I just keep feeding, watering and waiting? Help! I'm worried to try this on my other plants if this one doesn't bounce back.

2012-07-23T12:41:05.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

MaryA1330

Can verbena be deadheaded? I've had little luck with this in the past. Also, my coleus are growing out of control. How should I trim them back so they look good and don't take over my other plants?

2012-07-23T12:57:42.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

zafooo

t.y. i have a question on hydrangeas all the heads of flowers turned brown, should i cut them all off, if so how far down??  Another question i have is, in general, how & when should i prune my hydrageas?? thank you very much!

2012-07-23T18:38:49.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

zafooo

Regarding Shasta Daisys the flowers are done should i take off the flowers or, cut the plant down, or niether???

2012-07-23T18:41:20.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

burpee

Zaafoo, For Shasta daisies, wait until the flowers fade and wither. Examine each stem under the blossoms, for new flower buds. If you find bus cut right above the top bud. If there are no new flowers cut the stems to the first leaf or if it is fall cut the stem off just above soil level

For the Hydrangeas, cut off the old flower clusters as soon as they begin to wither. Cut the stem off beneath the flower right above the leaf nearest to the flower head so branching can occur. You can also cut the flower at their peak of bloom to use in flower arrangements. Cut the flowers with long stems until August; and cut with shorter stems after August, because new flower buds are forming on the stem for next year.

2012-07-24T13:11:56.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

zafooo

thank you

2012-07-24T15:07:18.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

burpee

MaryA, yes your  Verbena can be dead headed. Just clip off the top ¼ of the stems that hold the flowers once the blooms are spent. Clip it right above  a leaf.

Coleus is easy to pinch back, just pinch it back just above a leave and it will send out side shoots and get bushy. Don’t pinch more than ¼ of the stem. You can start pinching when the plants are about 8 inches tall and repeat about every 4 weeks. Pinch off any flower buds as they appear to extend the life of the plant.

2012-07-25T07:40:19.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

burpee

CarrotChick,Don’t lose hope your petunias are going to be okay. Early in the year you just pinch them off right behind the flower, however as they  get older you pinch back one stem at a time to stimulate more growth in the center.  Usually you cut about 1/3 of the stems at a time. You might want to give them a light application of fertilizer. As the weather gets cooler they will look better, they take beating with the heat.

Next year you may want to try a Wave Petunia many  of the Wave petunias are self-cleaning and never need dead heading.

2012-07-25T08:00:35.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

burpee

NewYork Millet, yes as soon as they start to wilt pinch off the flowers. Petunias like the cool weather and will improve with the cooling temperatures.

2012-07-25T08:04:11.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

NewYorkMillet

Thanks, Burpee! You're the best!

2012-07-25T12:27:07.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

zafooo

what's the right way to prune roses ??

2012-07-27T12:00:55.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

burpee

Dead heading roses, as soon as the flower begins to fade always cut down to the first 5 leaflet leaf. Cutting to a 3 leaflet may not produce a new flower.

In the fall prune after the first frost, remove any dead wood, and any green suckers at the base of the plant. Cut out any thin  canes. Cut the stems back the plant about a quarter to a  third to prevent winter damage. Remove leaves and debris to prevent insect and disease form wintering over.

2012-07-30T05:35:47.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

zafooo

what's a leaflet leaf??

2012-08-02T13:54:18.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

burpee

There are two types of leaves: a simple  leaf and a compound leaf.

A simple leaf has one leaf attached to a leaf stalk that is attached to a stem(branch) for example a Maple leaf.

A compound leaf is composed of a number of blades (leaflets) on a single leaf stem. That leaf stem is attached to the main stem for example  the rose.

2012-08-03T10:19:17.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

zafooo

i don't understand how to prune petunias. Am I supposed to just pull off the dead flower or cut the actual plant?  What about mounding petunias? 

2012-08-04T20:09:02.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

burpee

Zafooo, you can either cut or pinch off the individual flower stems or if the plant is getting too leggy cut back the stem to get the side shoots to grow. It depends on the mounding petunias many of the wave type are self cleaning and never need deadheading.

2012-08-06T06:33:19.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

EnvyZinns

This is a great post.  I didn't get a chance to go through the whole list of other people's questions so I don't know if this has been asked yet.  BUT.  How do you deadhead Phlox?  I've got some good looking pink phlox that seems to have sort of been doing it by itself.  It's bloomed three times since I bought it three months ago.  But not very prolifically since there are a lot of spent blooms that haven't been removed since I'm not sure how. 

Any advice would be great!! 

2012-08-21T12:42:14.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

EnvyZinns

This is a great post.  I didn't get a chance to go through the whole list of other people's questions so I don't know if this has been asked yet.  BUT.  How do you deadhead Phlox?  I've got some good looking pink phlox that seems to have sort of been doing it by itself.  It's bloomed three times since I bought it three months ago.  But not very prolifically since there are a lot of spent blooms that haven't been removed since I'm not sure how. 

Any advice would be great!! 

2012-08-21T12:42:19.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

burpee

There are many kinds of Phlox from tall to groundcover, some are perennial some considered annual. All will benefit from deadheading, removing spent blooms will cause the Phlox to focus on producing more flowers  instead of producing seed.

When working with plants make sure the plant’s leaves are dry in order to prevent the spread of disease. Phlox can have a stiff stem so you want to use clean shears. Cut off spent flower clusters as soon as the flowers begin to wither about ¼ inch above the bud that is forming immediately beneath the spent flower cluster.

When there are no new buds forming along the stem, cut the entire flower spike off either where it attached to the plant or if the stem is coming from the ground cut to the ground.

Take a look at you plant now and see where you can deadhead now.

2012-08-22T05:39:20.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 20