Mta214 Green Thumb

Mta214

Question about tomato seedlings

I live in Zone 7 and started tomato, pepper and eggplant seeds indoors in a seed starting dome.  The tomatoes look like they  are getting too big for the pods within the dome, and it is obviously too early to plant them outside.  I am thinking of buying some larger peat pots and putting the tomato seedlings in there.  Is that advisable?  Also, so that I know for next year, was March 1 too early for my zone to start the tomato seeds indoors?

Views: 3288 Replies: 3 Date: 2012-03-14T16:18:45.000Z
Result Count: 3

Tools

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: Question about tomato seedlings

You should remove the dome when 50% of the seeds have sprouted.  Make sure they are getting enough light, a full sun window or 16 hours of florescent light with the light within 4 inches.  Every time you transplant you damage the roots so only transplant if the tomatoes are pot bound with roots coming out of the bottom.

2012-03-15T05:27:14.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Mta214 Green Thumb

Mta214

Yeah, the roots were coming out of the bottom, so I put the larger plants in peat pots.  They are under a florescent  light for 16 hours and then in a period of darkness overnight.  I just wanted to be certain they had a bigger container until it's safe to plant outside.  I think the peat pots I got will be big enough until then, and since they go right in the ground, I won't need to transplant again. 

2012-03-15T18:03:40.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

BrittW

I start my tomatoes indoors in zone 5 in late march.  Once they all have sprouted, I remove their dome lid.  I keep them in a bright room with a southern and eastern exposure, and once they get too big, I up-pot them into 4" peat pots (which I buy in bulk) or into various food containers, such  as plastic tubs from butter, yogurt, etc that I save throughout the winter.  I usually don't get a chance to plant outdoors until the very end of May through mid-June.

2013-08-17T19:39:11.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 3