RyanHob Seedling

RyanHob

Moss in my yard . . . everywhere

I need help! I live in the rainy north west and have moss coming up everywhere. It has always been in my lawn but when the rain let up the other day I did a walk around and found that even my garden beds were starting to grow moss!

I did a basic soil test with one of those little green vials and it came up fairly yellow (acidic) and now I am uncertain what to do to get it out and keep it out.

Views: 2526 Replies: 2 Date: 2012-03-08T22:25:21.000Z
Result Count: 2

Tools

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: Moss in my yard . . . everywhere

Moss needs an acid soil and a soil that is compact and fairly depleted of nutrients. You best bet is to get your soil tested at the county extension service. They will tell you exactly how to change the pH.

2012-03-12T13:56:38.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

maggievanfossan

maggievanfossan

Re: Moss in my yard . . . everywhere

Moss likes moist, compact soil. To avoid in lawns, lime may be needed in the Fall to change your soil's PH. Call your local extension service to understand the results from your PH test. Moss also grows where grass is weak. Usually lawn is weakest in shady areas where drainage is poor.

Control moss already in lawn with either chemicals and raking or dethatching. In shady areas, overseed lawns annually. I aerate my lawn every Fall in the Northwest, and rake in a compost mix into my clay soil. This helps the drainage. You may also be able to get a little more sunlight by limbing up or thinning trees that shade your lawn. As for moss in your beds, moss can be raked up if that is desired. I like that myself. You can also improve drainage in beds by working in organic matter. 

The new thought in lawns is reducing them - not trying to force a lawn in areas that are too shady and wet. Many people like moss or a groundcover under trees. 

2012-03-22T14:01:12.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 2