veggiemom Soil Stomper

veggiemom

raised bed gardens

I have had a regular garden for years, but now my daughter has a house and wants to build a raised bed garden.  She has built the frame, but thinks she has to put landscape fabric down before she puts the soil in.  Is this right?  I figured the soil would kill the grass under it?

Views: 2935 Replies: 3 Date: 2012-04-14T06:51:16.000Z
Result Count: 3

Tools

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: raised bed gardens

It is better to remove the grass first to prevent it from forming  a mat. Then place the weed barrier to prevent any grass from growing throw the soil. Just the soil may not be enough to kill the grass and grass can be a nasty weed.

2012-04-16T06:28:14.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

BrittW

I rented a sod cutter to start a new garden patch.  I was able to use the sod to fill in some bare patches in the rest of my yard.  I also constructed raised beds.  I tilled the soil down as far as possible, then I lined the sides and bottom edges with fabric to help prevent weeds from creeping in and to prevent dirt from leaking out of the slats of the beds. 

2013-08-17T19:30:48.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

yorkshire

yorkshire

hi,   i have  2  raise  beds  anduse  1 for  my  onions, what  i  did was  too turn  over  the  grass to  rot  down and  used some  well  rotted  horse  manure  over  it then  filled  with  good  top  soil  had  some  great  results  for  the  last  3  years,but  never  walk  on the soil  in  a  raised  bed,place  a  board  acrossthe  bed  to  walk  on  to  sow  and water, second  bed  just  the  same  only  for different  vegatables ,  beans  cabbage  etc

2013-09-09T17:57:17.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 3